Chocolate Spread: With Coffee Infusion
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a recipe of natural chocolate spread with a bit of coffee. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this homemade spread. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Chocolate is a food that most of us know and love. However, not all people know that chocolate was even used by ancient tribes like Aztecs to make 'bitter cocktails'. They used it in their rituals when trying to talk to the souls of their ancestors.
Speaking in more scientific terms, there are a lot of health benefits of this food. Chocolate can improve mood, circulatory system functioning, brain functioning. It can also help to prevent cancer and heart disease.
Chocolate, in the form we consume it nowadays, is originally made from cocoa beans. These beans are the fruits of a tree called 'cacao tree'.
The most fascinating thing about chocolate is the amount of work that is done in order to turn these cocoa beans into a ready bar of chocolate that we can buy in any supermarket and enjoy it whenever we like.
The original taste of chocolate, or cocoa beans is very bitter. So in order to turn it into sweet chocolate it goes through a long process of fermentation. Then, sugar is added to make it sweet.
The worst thing is that most of the commerical chocolate products, including chocolate spread, are way too sweet! The amount of sugar that the manufacturers add is unbelievable!
If you tried a 90% chocolate or even darker, you will know what the real taste of chocolate is. If you eat most of the commercial milk chocolates e.g. Cadbury's you don't really feel the taste of cocoa beans. Most of what you feel is just sugar.
That is, basically, what inspired me to make a homemade chocolate spread. I am not a big fan of sugary food but at the same time I like having some moderately-sweet treats.
This chocolate spread recipe has about three times less sugar than a common commercial chocolate spread. There are no additives, preservatives whatsoever. Every single ingredient is pure and natural and all of them combined make a delicious creamy chocolate spread.
The only disadvantage may be that it is not as smooth as the commercial spreads. But I think that the crucial thing is that it is natural and tastes great as well.
Oh yeah, of course. It also contains a tiny bit of coffee to give it even a more luxurious flavour.
Anyway, I hope that you will enjoy it. Are you ready? Then let's get started!
- 100 g bar of dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa)
- 2 tbsp of dark cocoa powder (pure)
- 40 g of cane sugar
- 6 tbsp of dried milk
- 2 tbsp of butter (82.5% fat)
- 1 tsp of ground coffee
- 3/4 cup of water (200 ml)
- First, pour some water into a deep saucepan and bring it to the boil.
- Take a bowl which would just fit on top of the saucepan. It should also be comfortable to mix in it. Put it on top of the saucepan which has the water boiling in it. Keep the water boiling on medium heat. The steam from the boiling water will heat up the bowl, allowing you to melt and cook the ingredients.
Pour 2 tablespoons of pure dark cocoa powder (without any added sugar etc.) and a liitle bit of water into the bowl. Mix it well so that the mixture turns into cocoa paste.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter (82.5% fat) to the paste and mix until the mixture becomes even.
- Break a bar of dark chocolate into small pieces and add them to the cocoa paste. Mix the chocolate pieces from time to time with a spoon and press them to the bottom of the bowl so that they melt quicker.
Wait until all the chocolate pieces melt completely and mix them into the paste. Pour some more water into the paste to make it smoother and more runny.
- Now, add 40 grams of granulated cane sugar to the chocolate sauce and mix well until the sugar dissolves completely. Add some more water, if needed, to make the paste smoother and more runny.
- Add 6 tablespoons of dried milk into the paste. Add one tablespoon at a time and mix until it dissolves completely in the paste. Don't add all 6 tablespoons at once. Add some more water, if needed, to make the paste smoother and more runny.
- Finally, add 1 teaspoon of ground coffee and mix everything well until the mixture becomes even and smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add some more water and mix well.
- Take a glass jar and put it on a knife blade (this is done in order to prevent the glass from cracking when you pour in the hot mixture). Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the liquid chocolate spread into the jar. Cover with a lid and put into the fridge for a while to let it cool down.
Take the chocolate spread out of the fridge and spead it over a slice of fresh bread or a toast.
Tip: it tastes amazing with a glass of warm milk!
- Enjoy your meal and stay healthy! Send love to the food while eating and you will get the most benefit from it! Be happy and smile! Thank you!
Return From Chocolate Spread To Healthy Dessert Recipes
Return From Chocolate Spread To Home Page