Ukrainian Sorrel Sauce
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a recipe of Ukrainian sorrel sauce. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this very simple, very nutritious dish. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Sorrel is a vegetable which peaks in spring. In other seasons it is quite hard to get it. Sorrel is commonly used to make sauces, soups, stews etc. It has a slightly sour taste.
Sorrel is not so popular around the world and especially in America. However, as people become more aware of the great health benefits of this plant, its popularity increases.
So what is good about sorrel?
- Sorrel is a nutraceleutical i.e it helps to prevent disease.
- It contains flavonoids. These compounds are highly beneficial for our body. Flavonoids are a type of anti-oxidants. They help to prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. Flavonoids also enhance the immune system.
- Sorrel also contains high amounts of vitamin C, vitamin A, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Niacin and Riboflavin.
Therefore, it is another vegetable that's worth including in your diet to promote good health.
I wanted to share with you this simple recipe of sorrel sauce so that you can enjoy this vegetable in you meals. This sauce is universal because it can be served with meat, fish, potatoes. You can even dip a slice of bread into it.
This recipe is common in Ukraine and Hungary and is known as 'shoushko'. My grand grand parents used this recipe and now all of you can try it as well. I hope that you will enjoy it.
Ok, are you ready for the cooking journey? Let's get started!
Remember to send love to every single ingredient while cooking. By sending love to the food, you will receive love back as well. As a result, the food will become more tasty and healthier for you! Simple but it is true!
So keep a smile on your face while cooking and enjoy the process!
- 400g of sorrel
- 150g of water
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of wheatflour
- 4-5 tbsp of water
- 4 tbsp of double cream
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Cut 400 grams of sorrel into long pieces.
- Put it into a saucepan and add 150g of water and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir well and cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes. Stir from time to time. The sorrel will change colour and become darker. It will start broiling.
- In a glass, mix 2 teaspoons of wheatflour and 4-5 tablespoons of cold water. Make sure that the liquid is even. It should have a milky consistency. Add it to the boiling sorrel. Mix well.
- Add 4 tablespoons of double cream into the sorrel and stir again. Add 2 teaspoons of sugar and some salt to taste. Stir everything and cook for 4 minutes. (about 3 minutes after it starts boiling)
- Serve hot with any kind of food e.g. potato, meat or just dip a slice of bread into it.
- Enjoy your meal and bon appetit! Send love to the food and be happy! Thank you!
Return From Sorrel Sauce To Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Return From Sorrel Sauce To Home Page