Ukrainian Food: 'Kremzliki'
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a recipe of 'kremzliki' - a traditional Ukrainian food. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook 'kremzliki'. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Ukrainian food in itself is very special and very original. In particular, I am talking about the Ukrainian cuisine specific to the Carpathian region - the western part of the country and the place where I grew up.
Carpathian cuisine evolved over the centuries under the influence of natural, social, economic, and historical factors. This was facilitated by resettlement in the region of Hungarians, Turks, Tatars, Germans, Rusyns, Lithuanians, Austrians, Czechs, as well as influenced by close proximity of the four countries - Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania.
Therefore Carpathian cuisine has international origin and is distinctive and unique. In fact, when talking about Ukrainian food, people usually talk about the Carpathian food.
Rusyn cuisine, a subculture of the Carpathian cuisine, is famous for kremzliki (potato pancakes with various fillings). This favourite dish has plenty of different names but the principle is the same.
When starting the website I was sure that I would share the recipes of the wonderful Ukrainian food with you. So now I thought that I would start with the classical recipe of 'kremzliki' - without any fillings.
The recipe is very simple and yet very tatsy and original - this is the key feature of every Ukrainian dish. I love this food and I hope that you will enjoy it as well.
So let's have a look at how to cook 'kremzliki'.
- 10 potatoes
- 2 onions
- sunflower oil
- black pepper
- Take 10 potatoes, wash and peel them. Peel 2 onions. Cut the potatoes and onions on a cutting board into small pieces and put them into a blender.
- Blend them thoroughly until they turns into a paste. Pour the mixture into a bowl, add some salt and black pepper, to your taste, and mix everything with a spoon.
- Pre-heat a frying pan. Pour some sunflower oil. Take a little bit of the mixture, put it on the frying pan and make it into a round shape with the radius of about 4-5 cm.
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes and turn them over. If the bottom of each 'kremzlik' sticks to the frying pan, it means that it is not ready yet. In this case, wait for 1 minut or so, and then turn them over. Fry on the other side for 3-4 minutes. They should become golden-brownish in colour. Fry the rest of the mixture in the same way.
- Take the 'kremzliki' off the frying pan and put on a plate. Take a piece of tissue and wipe each piece carefully to absorb the fat. To enjoy the full sensation serve hot. They taste great with sour cream or mushroom sauce.
- Enjoy your Ukrainian meal! Love it, feel the pleasure and stay healthy!
Return From Ukrainian Food Kremzliki To Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Return From Ukrainian Food Kremzliki To Home Page