Ukrainian Buckwheat Recipe
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a Ukrainian buckwheat recipe. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this very simple, yet tasty dish. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Buckwheat is a variety of plant food that is commonly consumed in a similar way as wheat and other grains. Strangely enough it not a cereal actually. It is called a pseudocereal.
Buckwheat has been cultivated for thousands of years already with the oldest records being in China. Nowadays, it quite a popupal 'grain' all over the world including North America and Europe.
However, the place where it is most commonly used is actually the Eastern Europe. In particular in Russia and Ukraine.
In Ukraine we comonly make it in a form of porridge. However, in my family buckwheat porridge is not that popular. We usually cook it as a garnish mixed with braised onion. For a stronger flavour we fry it a bit or you can say we dry it on low heat.
Frying the buckwheat before boiling is actually my mother's speciality and a secret. It is a small tip but a very useful one and really makes the dish more tasty. This is, basically, how we are going to cook it in this buckwheat recipe.
As for the nutritional part of the buckwheat, it is rich in Iron, Zinc and Selenium. It contains antioxidants rutin and tannins which help to reduce free radicals in the body. Buckwheat is an excellent source of carbohydrates and it also contains a high concentration of all the essential amino acids. It is a wonderful 'grain' to include in your diet.
So are you ready for the cooking? Let's get started then!
Remember to send love to every single ingredient while cooking. By sending love to the food, you will receive love back as well. As a result, the food will become more tasty and healthier for you! Simple but it is true!
So keep a smile on your face while cooking and enjoy the process!
- 1 cup of buckwheat
- 2 cups of water
- 1 onion
- sunflower oil
- Take 1 onion and chop it up into square pieces. Put it into a small bowl and add some sunflower oil. Mix the onion with the oil until even. Add some more oil if some of the onion pieces are dry. Cook on low heat for 8 minutes stirring from time to time. The onion should soften and obtain a golden colour.
- Measure 1 cup of buckwheat and pour it into an empty bowl/saucepan. Pour some water into the bowl and mix the buckwheat with your hands to wash off any dirt from it.
Drain off the dirty water and add just a little bit of clean water. (very little, just a bit at the bottom of the bowl) Put it on medium heat and fry for 6-7 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Now as the buckwheat has been dried a bit, pour 2 cups of water into the bowl. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Mix the braised onion with the cooked buckwheat. Add some salt to your taste and mix again. Enjoy the buckwheat with any kind of meat, fish or even on its own.
- Enjoy your meal! Bon appetit! Love the food and be happy and healthy! Thank you!
Return From Buckwheat Recipe To Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Return From Buckwheat Recipe To Home Page