Cod Recipe: In Breadcrumbs
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a simple cod recipe with breadcrumbs. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this great fish. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Fish is a good source of protein and unlike animal meat e.g. pork, beef it doesn't contain the so called 'bad fat'. Well, it does contain fat, but most of it is unsaturated.
This type of fats is very healthy for your heart, brain, nervous system and reproductive system. They are simply great. These fats are known as the essential fatty acids or Omega-3,6,9. You have probably heard and read a lot about them.
Cod in itself has actually got a very low fat content. Its meat is pure white when cooked and it is a very lean source of protein.
A very famous and well known part of cod is the cod liver. It is used to produce cod liver oil which is high in vitamins A, D, E and omega-3 fatty acid (the one I told you about).
My cod recipe does not include the cod liver but you can easily buy it in any supermarket in a canned form. However, there is one important thing to remember - do not consume too much and too often!
This is because the cod liver accumulates toxins very easily, which are harmful for your health. If you eat it, but just a little bit, the benefits from the liver will outweigh the harmful effects. My suggestion is to eat it, but very rarely.
Oh yeah, when you do buy the cod liver in the cans look at the labels! Avoid any additives or preservatives. You certainly don't want any more chemicals in your cod! :)
But what about the cod fillet that we are going to cook in this cod recipe? Well, as I said, it is high in lean proteins. The protein bioavailibility is higher than that of beef, according to some nutritionists.
This means that the protein is absorbed better by our bodies. Furthermore, any kind of fish is a good source of Phosphorus. This mineral is essential for our health, especially for the strength of our bones.
In addition, the meat doesn't accumulate the toxins in a way the liver does.
So, as you can see, cod does have some nutritional benefits and that is why I am sharing with you this simple cod recipe.
It will add variety to your diet and you must know that variety is health. Just include it sometimes in your meals, that's my suggestion. Not more than once a month.
By the way, in the UK, cod fillet is the most common ingredient in the 'fish&chips'. However, this dish is better avoided, simply because of the oil that the fish and chips are cooked in - 300 times used.
In this cod recipe we are going to fry the cod fillet in beaten eggs and breadcrumbs. You may think that this is basically the same as in 'fish&chips' but it really isn't. It is nothing like the fish&chips! You will see for yourself. I am sure you will love it a lot!.
Well, I hope you are excited and ready for the cooking journey! Let's get started then!
Remember to send love to every single ingredient while cooking. By sending love to the food, you will receive love back as well. As a result, the food will become more tasty and healthier for you! Simple but it is true!
So keep a smile on your face while cooking and enjoy the process!
- cod fillet
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil
- Take a few pieces of cod fillet and unfreeze them if they were freezed. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over every piece and leave them for a few minutes in a bowl.
- Take 2 eggs and pour them into a deep plate or a bowl. Whisk them to make an even, mixed substance of yellow colour.
- Take a piece of aluminium foil and put it on a table or any flat surface that is convenient for you. Take about 1 cup of breadcrumbs and pour them on the foil. Spread them into a medium layer. Preheat a frying pan and pour some sunflower oil on it.
- Now take a piece of cod fillet, soak it into the beaten eggs so that the eggs cover the surface of the fish completely. Put the piece of cod on the breadcrumbs, one side first, and then another side so that the breadcrumbs stick to the fish.
- Put the fish on the preheated frying pan on sunflower oil and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn over to the other side and cook for 5 minutes as well. Do the same with the rest of the fish.
- When the cod is cooked, remove it from the frying pan and put it on a plate. I suggest eating it with plain risotto, a few slices of lemon and capers. However, you can enjoy it with any garnish you want or even on its own.
- Enjoy your meal and bon appetit! Love the food, send love to it and be happy! Thank you!
Return From Cod Recipe To Healthy Meal Recipes
Return From Cod Recipe To Home Page