Meringue Recipe With Chocolate And Nuts
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a meringue recipe with chocolate and walnuts. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this delicious dessert. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Meringue is a very famous dessert all over the world. Is is believed that the first meringue recipe was invented in Switzerland by an Italian chef named Gasparini. It soon spread out across the world and in different countries different variations of this dessert appeared.
There are three main types of meringue which use slightly different techniques when making the dessert. However, the basis for any meringue recipe is the same - egg whites and sugar.You can also add different ingredients to meringues to make different flavours.
In my meringue recipe I am using ground walnuts and chocolate as extra ingredients. They also add some more nutritional value to this dessert.
Walnuts provide protein (just like egg whites), omega 3,6,9 and vitamin E. Chocolate adds some crucial antioxidants.
That is concerning the nutritional value of my meringue recipe. Oh yes, I almost forgot. This recipe also uses much less sugar that any other recipe I have seen because... we all know that sugar is good, but only in moderate amounts!
The most interesting and unusual part of the recipe is the actual baking.
Personally, I never thought before that you need to bake meringues at a very low heat for a very long time. Apparently, if you don't do so, you will simply burn these lovely white biscuits.
Meringues are sometimes called 'Forgotten Biscuits' as you leave them in the oven after baking for quite a while.
Another beauty about meringues is their unique consistency, which is crispy and at the same time tender and light.
I have tried this meringue recipe with my mother and the first time we did it the biscuits were a bit chewy, but generally they should't be like that.
We sorted out the issue by adding 15 more minutes of baking time. But even if then your meringues appear to be a bit chewy, rather than completely crispy - don't worry. They are going to be nice anyway and I am sure that you will love them.
Caution: when I tried one I could stop eating! :)
I hope that by now, you are really excited about trying this dessert! I am, aren't you?! OK, let's get started!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of ground walnuts
- 10 g of dark chocolate
- Take 4 egg whites and pour them into a bowl. Use a mixer to mix/whisk them well. When the egg whites start changing colour to pure white, start pouring in 1/2 cup of sugar in small portions. Keep mixing everything until it obtains a stiff, snowy, airy structure.
- Grind 1/4 cup of walnuts and pour them into the mixed egg whites. Grate a small piece (10 g) of dark chocolate into the bowl.
- Now is the important bit: take a wooden spoon and mix the ground walnuts with chocolate with egg whites very gently. You must mix it in 'up and down' motion rather than circular motion or otherwise the whole dessert will be ruined. So mix just a little bit - don't overdo it. Remember - up and down, not circular mixing!
- Take a bit of the mixture with a wooden spoon and put it on a baking tray on parchment paper. Repeat the same with the rest of the mixture to make more meringues. Alternatively, you can use special icing bags which will make the biscuits look more attractive. Put them into a preheated at 100 degrees oven, and cook for 2 hours.
Do not open the oven during these 2 hours or the dessert will be ruined!
- When the meringue biscuits are done, turn off the oven and leave them inside for a few more hours so that they get completely baked. Take the meringues out, put on a plate and enjoy the delicious flavour and the unique consistency of these biscuits.
- Enjoy and bon appetit! Send love to your food to get most benefit from it! Hope you enjoyed the process! Thank you! See you later!
Return From Meringue Recipe To Healthy Dessert Recipes
Return From Meringue Recipe To Home Page