Varenyky: With Prune Jam
Hello everybody and welcome! This is a recipe of varenyky - one of the traditional Ukrainian dishes. Now I am going to guide you step by step on how to cook this simple and tasty dish. Make yourself at home and enjoy!Before we start:
Varenyky, also known as pierogi, are believed to originate in China, however some people say that they come from Turkey. They are similar to the common dumplings and you can actually call them 'Ukrainian dumplings'. I hope you know what dumplings are. (joke:)
Varenyky are usually stuffed with some sort of filling. The most common fillings are potato, sauerkraut, mushrooms. These are the savoury variations of the dish. At the same time, there are sweet variations which are stuffed with plums, cherries and prune jam.
Now we are going to cook varenyky with prune jam. First, I wanted to put this recipe into the desserts category because it is sweet. However, I then realized that it is more like a 'proper' meal and decided to put it into the vegetarian category.
Bear in mind, that prune jam is not the same as plum jam and they taste very differently. Make sure that you use prune jam to get the right flavour. Although, using a plum jam would taste good as well.
Anyway, I think you should try this one first and then you can experiment with the recipe in any way you like.
We are going to make some sweet, fried breadcrumbs and mix them with varenyky. This will give them even a better taste. To have a totally sensational experience we will add some sour cream on top. A-h-h... yummy!
Note: Be careful! Extemely delicious! I can't stop eating it whenever I put one into my mouth! So don't overeat!
OK, I hope you are all excited by now! Let's get started!
Remember to send love to each ingredient while you are cooking and think positively. By sending love you will receive love back and the food you eat will become more healthy and even more tasty! Enjoy!
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of water
- prune jam
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar
- sunflower oil
- sour cream
- First, pour some water into a big saucepan and put it on a stove on low heat. You want the water to get to the boil slowly.
- While the water is heating up, pour two cups of wheat flour into a bowl. Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup of water and knead the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a thin, circular, flat shape.
- Use a knife to cut the whole piece into smaller, square-shaped pieces.
- Take some prune jam and put a bit in the middle of each piece. Fold each piece and press with the fork on the edges, so that when you cook them they don't fall apart.
- Put the formed dumplings into the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat. Stir carefully, from time to time, to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
When all the dumplings rise to the surface of the water, keep cooking until the water starts boiling again. From the time it started boiling again, cook them for 15 more minutes.
- While the dumplings are boiling, pour 1 cup of breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of cane sugar on a frying pan. Mix everything well and pour a little bit of sunflower oil. Fry on low heat until the colour becomes more brownish. Keep stirring all the time.
- When the dumplings are ready, drain them and mix with the fried breadcrumbs.
- While they are still hot, put some in a small bowl or on a plate and pour some fresh sour cream on top.
- Enjoy and bon appetit! Love the food, send love to it and be happy! I hope you enjoyed the cooking! Thank you!
Return From Varenyky To Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Return From Varenyky To Home Page